The JFormDesigner / FormDev Blog
10 years ago, on 2004-12-13, we released JFormDesigner 1.0. Wow! Ten years is a long time. We're very proud of what we have built and we're looking forward to continue the success.
JFormDesigner 1.0 was the first professional GUI designer that did support JGoodies FormLayout, the most advanced grid-based layout manager for Swing at this time.
Our vision was to develop the best and most innovative GUI designer for Swing to help our customers to increase their productivity and create professional looking forms.
JFormDesigner 1.0 introduced innovations not seen before in other GUI builders. For example:
- Column and row headers: The first time it was possible to easily insert, delete and drag-and-drop whole columns/rows.
- Excellent JGoodies FormLayout, TableLayout and GridBagLayout support.
- Automatic GridBagLayout gaps avoids the hassle to set GridBagConstraints.insets correctly for consistent gaps.
- Generation of nested classes allows you to organize your source code in an object-oriented way.
The first version was only available as stand-alone application. Today, JFormDesigner is the only GUI designer on the market that is available as plug-ins for all major IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ IDEA, JDeveloper and JBuilder).
- 1,800,000 downloads
- 107,000 evaluation licenses
- 23,000 newsletter subscribers
- 5,400 commits
- 2,800 .java files
- 63 releases
- 13 supported layout managers
- 5 IDE plug-ins
- 1.2 GB git bare repository size (compressed)
Development of new features was a bit slow the last years. Sorry, but we're going to speed-up. MigLayout support is already under hard development for JFormDesigner 6 (mid 2015). Then we'll continue with JavaFX support. Stay tuned.
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of JFormDesigner 5.2, now with JDeveloper plug-in, Java 8 support, JGoodies Forms 1.8, GroupLayout design improvements and more.
- JDeveloper plug-in
- Java 8 support
- JGoodies Forms 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 support
- GroupLayout design improved
- Visualization of gaps in GroupLayout
- Improved tree file chooser
- Preferences search in NetBeans and IntelliJ IDEA plug-ins
- and more...
Customer information: JFormDesigner 5.2 is free of charge for existing customers if the "Free updates until" date of your license key is 2012-09-01 or later. Upgrades are available here.
2014-05-12 2 Comments
We've just released JFormDesigner 5.1.3, which is now compatible with IntelliJ IDEA 13.1 and NetBeans 8.0, fixes minor bugs and brings some minor improvements.
Users of the IntelliJ IDEA or NetBeans plug-ins are recommended to update to 5.1.3.